I just love General Conference! What a wonderful thing to be able to hear from our prophet, apostles, and leaders talk about things that apply to us today and now! I just feel so uplifted when the weekend is through. Yes of course there are always things to work on and to continue to learn about, but it’s also a reassuring thing that we’re doing what’s right.
When I was a kid, I had a hard time appreciating General Conference. But now I can’t get enough and get so excited when it comes! So here are some things that have really helped me appreciate it more.
1. Look for Answers – When I was in college, a friend of mine told me that before each General Conference they think of 3 questions they would like answers to. They pray about them and listen for their answers during conference. And the amazing thing is, they’re always answered! The Lord loves us and wants us to understand and receive personal revelation. I’ve done this ever since and it makes General Conference even more meaningful for me.
2. Take notes – Write in a notebook what things stand out to you. Write down impressions you receive.
3. Share what you learned – Alan’s extended family gets together Sunday night and everyone in the family (we’re talking at least 25 people, including children) shares their favorite talk and something that they learned.
4. Reread the talks – If you get the Ensign mailed to you, the General Conference edition comes out the month after (November and May) or you can always look online. Especially with a baby, it’s hard to pay attention to every little word said. So it’s a great idea to reread the talks and see what you may have missed. And sometimes things stand out more the second time.
5. Pray about it – Pray for guidance, inspiration, and the verification that what you heard was true.
6. Act! – Do what you heard! If you need to do more service, do it! If you need to be a better spouse, do it! If you need to attend the temple more, do it! It’s wonderful to receive personal revelation, but the Lord expects us to act on it and be a doer!
For those of you who aren’t members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons), you can watch General Conference broadcasted on TV on Saturday Oct. 1st at 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. (MDT) and Sunday Oct. 2nd at 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. (MDT).