I have to be honest here. I am not a huge fan of cherry flavored foods. Real cherries are good, but that’s about the extent of it. For the Foodie Extravaganza this month the ingredient was cherries and at first I wasn’t super thrilled.
But then I made these.
And they are amazing! Even my husband who said he didn’t like cherry stuff and wasn’t thrilled about my muffins, loved them. And my kids devoured them! They’re so moist and sweet and yummy!
Here’s the recipe.
1 10oz jar maraschino cherries, chopped (save the juice!)
2 TBSP flour
1 3/4 cup flour
1 cup sugar
2 tsps baking powder
1/2 cup canola oil
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup cherry juice (from maraschino cherries)
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1. *Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a muffin tin or put in cupcake liners.
2. Remove the cherries from the jar and cut them into quarters. Make sure you save the juice!
3. Place the cherries in a small bowl and sprinkle with the 2 tablespoons of flour. Toss the cherries so they’re completely covered in the flour.
4. In a large mixing bowl, add 1 3/4 cups flour, sugar, baking powder, and whisk to combine.
5. Measure 1/4 cup of the cherry juice and set aside.
6. Then add eggs, oil, almond extract, vanilla extract, and the rest of the cherry juice from the jar into the mixing bowl. Mix until just combined.
7. Carefully fold the cherries into the batter.
8. Pour the batter into the muffin cups about 2/3 full.
9. Bake for 20-25 minutes, checking with a toothpick until done. Toothpick will come out clean when done.
10. Allow muffins to cool before putting on the glaze,
Cherry Glaze: In a medium bowl, mix the 1/4 cup cherry juice, vanilla extract, and powdered sugar. Beat until smooth. Pour the glaze over the muffins when ready to serve.
*Tip: I just learned that muffins won’t sink (like mine did) if the temperature of the oven is 400 degrees. It also cooks them faster so check them often. I’m going to try this next time!
Still craving more cherry recipes? Here are some more fabulous ones!
Welcome back to our monthly Foodie Extravaganza!
If this is your first time joining us, the Foodie Extravaganza is a monthly party hosted by bloggers who love food! Each month we incorporate one main ingredient into recipes to share with you and this month that ingredient is a Valentine’s Day classic…cherries!
4 Ingredient Chocolate Covered Cherry Cake Balls by Keep it Simple, Sweetie
Chocolate and Maraschino Cherry Shortbread Cookies by Making Miracles
Real Maraschino Cherries by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Fresh Cherry Crisp by Fearlessly Creative Mammas
Chocolate Cherry Brownies by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Breakfast Yogurt with Cherry Sauce by Brunch with Joy
Cherry Apple Crumble Tart by Food Lust People Love
Cherry Pie Bites by The Freshman Cook
Dark Cherry BBQ Sauce by The Joyful Foodie
Balsamic Cherry Brie Stuffed French Toast by Pantry Friendly Cooking
Cherry Chocolate Coconut Slices by Baking in Pyjamas
Vanilla Ice Cream with Dried Cherries and Dark Chocolate by Sew You Think You Can Cook
Chocolate Cherry Protein Smoothie by Mrs. Penguin
Cherry Danishes by Passion Kneaded
Dark Cherry-Cranberry Compote by Rhubarb and Honey
National Cherry Month by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Crock Pot Balsamic Cherry Beef Roast by Rae Gun Ramblings
Cherry Glazed Cherry Muffins by We Like to Learn as We Go
(Visited 63 times, 1 visits today)